Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Nothing like the constructive feedback from an experienced sailor and IT professional like Roger to make sQuidd.io more helpful and fun.
Fair winds and happy sailing, Roger!
Thursday, July 23, 2015
Friday, July 17, 2015
Sometimes you may want people not currently in your sQuiddio follow list to be able to view your current position on a map.
If you manage a blog or web site there's a pretty easy way of doing that: include an HTML iframe in one of your pages that renders the same Google map you see in your sQuiddio Dashboard, updated to the most recent position.
- Log in to sQuiddio
- Go to Preferences (in the right-hand side of the blue top bar)
Select Make my position map available publicly. IMPORTANT: The iframe is not authenticated. Selecting this option will make your map available to any one who
invokes the iframe. Make sure you really want your position to be known to the outside world (and not only to members of your sQuiddio follow list)
☞ Not enabling public iframe support will cause the message no public map for user to appear when you invoke the iframe
- Include the following iframe tag in your web page where you want the map displayed:
<iframe src="https://squidd.io/users/YOUR USER ID/embedded_map?size=SIZE&records=NUM_RECORDS" height="300px" width="900px" > </iframe>
YOUR USER ID: the number shown in your Dashboard's url. For example, the user id in the url https://squidd.io/users/11212 is 11212
☞ Requesting a non existing user id will cause the message no user to appear when you invoke the iframe
- SIZE: L for large (w: 910px h: 600px) and S for small (280 x 280 px), case sensitive. If you omit this parameter the iframe will render a small map.
- NUM_RECORDS: the number of most recent position updates you want to show. If you omit this parameter the iframe will show your latest 30 positions.
For example, these are all valid ways of constructing your iframe tag:
<iframe src="https://squidd.io/users/11212/embedded_map?size=L&records=10" height="620px" width="940px"> </iframe>
<iframe src="https://squidd.io/users/11212/embedded_map?size=S" height="300px" width="300px" > </iframe>
<iframe src="https://squidd.io/users/11212/embedded_map?records=10" height="300px" width="300px" > </iframe>
<iframe src="https://squidd.io/users/11212/embedded_map" height="300px" width="300px" >" </iframe>
Remember to size your iframe (using the height and width attributes) depending on the map size you specify in your request, and use any of the other HTML5 options available for iframes for doing things like hiding the iframe border, setting a background color etc..
Wednesday, July 8, 2015
Thursday, July 2, 2015
Key new features in v05:
- Support for Mac OS X (yes!)
- Select the type(s) of destinations displayed on a chart (for instance, you can choose to only display anchorages and docks)
- Improves performance during Internet downloads through the use of process threading
- Displays server status messages in the log-sharing status bar
addresses some usability issues around the use of credentials for log-sharing
- With the new release, sQuiddio is also introducing AIS ‘Aids to Navigation’ (ATONs) as a new category of downloadable points of interest.
Download the new version of the plugin here